Thursday 15 August 2019

Mixed Media on Cards


 At Charmed Cards & Crafts we stock a huge array of goodies from Stamperia. A recent release is a fabulous collection called "Cosmos". The collection comprises 12x12 papers, rice papers, stencils, chipboard and moulds.   Mixed media projects are fun, I want to show you that you can create fabulous cards using mixed media, and what better collection to create with.  We have run monthly ATC swaps for over a decade now, and our theme this month was a moodboard featuring Cosmos.  My swaps there also feature here. Thus - expect a million picture to follow ...!

CARD 1- "One of a Kind"



The first card I want to show you is quite large, measuring 19.5cm x 14.5cm. I used black cardstock to create the card itself.   One of my favourite dies is a Zipper die (out of stock, sorry). Cutting out the design using Duck Egg Blue cardstock, I distressed and aged it using metallic gold ink. I then notched out the section from the card front where I intended to insert the zip.
I cut a piece of paper from the Cosmos pad, slightly smaller than card front, inked edges with gold ink and attached to front of card. Again I cut out the place for the zip and attached it to the top.

To add dimension I used Finnabairs Gold Icing Paste with Stamperia Cosmos stencil KSTD044. I then added Prima/Finnabair art stones (you can also use Stamperia Art Stones "Lunar Grains"). You can see here how lush that icing paste is, rich and bright gold, love it!


The art stones were put on using mixed media glue and dries clear. On the picture below it was still wet.


 Add a piece of the same Cosmos paper inside the card. Here you can see what it looked like before I added the dimension to the front.
 


 When the card is closed you can now see the internal paper:



The centrepiece for my card front is one of the images from the Cosmos pad - and loving owls this one blew me away! I inked the edges with gold, then layered it, using 1mm foam tape, on Duck Egg Blue cardstock (inked) and then black cardstock. I used Glossy Accent on the moon, the eyes, and the beak.




When the art stones were dry I coloured them haphazardly using Finnbair/Prima Opal Magic Paint (Coral/Teal), then waxed with Stamperia Cerantica Ancient Gold Wax.




I painted a metal piece I had, using the Opal Magic paint and added it to the bottom of the card, ensuring I left room for my centrepiece.




 I inked a quote chip from Tim Holtz and attached to the top using foam tape.



The centrepiece was attached using 3mm foam tape with a few feather tucked behind it to finish it off:








  The inside was decorated too:













CARD 2-"Chase the Moon ..."





 On the next card I used art stones as a frame, not merely to add dimension.

I wanted this to be really rustic so after covering the front with Cosmos paper (and four corners cut out from the Cosmos paper) I liberally added Stamperia Clear Crackle paste. When dried it hardened and curled the edges, which was exactly what I was after, as well as leaving a lush crackle.  
The centrepiece was mounted as the previous card and added to the centre (this card is 6"x6" size)
Art stones were added, then painted and waxed as previous card - as I wanted this to look really rustic I brought both paint and wax onto the card itself. As before I dabbed some of the  wax here and there for a gold shimmer. Colours were much more subtle than in my picture. Just couldn't get the light.
 




 Inside was simply decorated to coordinate with the front:

  


Cosmos Artist Trading Cards

My three ATC cards.  ATC stands for Artist Trading Cards, and are 2.5" x 3.5" pieces of art in a specific theme. These used the Cosmos papers, as well as turquoise leather craft lace, feathers  and metal.  Glossy Accent was used to accent each card also.










I hope I have persuaded you to try mixed media on your cards. 

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic!Thanks for the wonderful ideas and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What amazing pieces. I will use your ideas to try on some of my cards and mixed media canvases. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card I have that owl on a royal Dalton plate set. Had them for years I'll never sell them even though I have no room to put them up at present

    ReplyDelete